Ames Public Library Job Openings
Today is 3/25/2017
Project Smyles Presenter
Your application will be considered as openings become available.
Schedule: Average of 5-12 hours per week; may include some evenings and weekends
Starting wage: $15.7611 per hour
Start Date: Variable
Under the direction of the Youth Services Manager, provide programs to children, their teachers/caregivers, and parents, at preschools and daycare settings (in-home and centers) in Ames Public Library’s service area (Ames and rural Story County).
Duties include the following:
- Present prepared quality programs in preschools and daycares for infants, toddlers and preschoolers;
- Promote early literacy skills and practices;
- Provide age-appropriate Bookmobile and on-site Library tours;
- Attend Project Smyles team meetings;
- Attend training and continuing education sessions when instructed;
- Participate in the development of standards of excellence for the Project Smyles team;
- Demonstrate a professional presence and the ability to represent the Library and conduct business in a professional manner;
- Complete and return appropriate paperwork needed for each site;
- Transport deposit collections to various sites;
- Adhere to safety guidelines;
- Report replacement needs of Library presentation materials;
- Work cooperatively with other staff members and volunteers;
- Oversee assigned volunteers;
- Plan work according to established procedures;
- Additional duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of early literacy skills and practices; differentiation of library collections and formats; library policies, practices and procedures; computer applications; standard office and library machines.
- Skill in presentation; classroom management; customer service; written and oral communication; creative problem solving; critical thinking and decision-making.
- Ability to: work independently and as part of a team; work with a sense of urgency, tact and sense of humor; work accurately with attention to detail; adapt to change; assess and prioritize multiple tasks; communicate effectively with other library staff and daycare providers, volunteers and customers; understand and follow verbal and written instructions; successfully operate a computer and software to perform library tasks; use email and web browsers; handle challenging situations and people; demonstrate professionalism and positive attitude; be trained in various technological advances in the library profession; tolerate ambiguity.
High school diploma or GED is required. Preference may be given to those with library experience.
The worker is exposed to heavy lifting and transportation of materials needed for presenting programs and delivering deposit collections. Please see the Position Description for detailed physical and environmental characteristics of the position.
The worker may be exposed to adverse environmental conditions while traveling to and from the Library building and outreach site. The worker is required to provide their own transportation.
This position works with the public and is expected to attend to hygiene and health emergencies.
Application Procedure: All applicants must electronically submit a completed City of Ames Employment Application, cover letter, and three references to be considered for the position. Please e-mail the application materials to email@example.com.
Ames Public Library is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Women, minorities, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.