Ames Public Library Strategic Plan
Today is 5/18/2013
Library customers will find materials to stimulate their imagination and enhance their leisure time.
- Acquire a downloadable audio collection. [Virtual Reference Specialist]
- Investigate the adoption and provision of new formats as they become
available. [Media Collection Manager]
- Improve the vitality of discrete collections by creating an integrated process for selectors to follow during the collection development cycle of evaluation, purchasing, analysis, and withdrawal. [Collection Management Team]
- Increase the collection’s web presence through visual images that change frequently. [Community Relations Specialist]
- Expand attractive displays of materials throughout the library. [Design Team]
- Investigate and implement best practices for collection development and
marketing through site visits and conference and workshop attendance.
- Create new customers by identifying and providing books for populations
with special needs and interests. [Collection Manager and Adult Selectors Team]
- Collaborate with Iowa State University Library staff to explore the provision of leisure reading materials to students at the Parks Library. [Outreach Work Group]
- Increase the number of high demand, currently popular books and journal subscriptions. [Collection Manager]
- Develop a process for improving the materials supply budget management procedures that brings together collection managers, circulation, and technical services staff. [Collection Management Team]
- Improve process for adding donated materials to the collection. [Collections Work Group]
Measures of Success:
- Circulation of adult fiction collections will increase by 1.0% each year.
- Circulation of entertainment non-print collections will increase by 3.0%
- The vitality* of discrete parts of the adult fiction and nonfiction print and
non-print collections after the initial measurements will reach the target
ratio of between 1.0 and 1.5 each year. Circulation of entertainment
non-print collections will increase by 3.0% each year.
* Measures the ratio between items on the shelf and circulation within “discrete parts” (specific subject or genre areas) of the collection. A figure of 1.0 indicates the perfect balance. Lower than 1.0 indicates the collection is strained to support demand, higher than 1.0 indicates resources may be devoted elsewhere.