1958@
   Citation: 210.1192.2 (Full image size: 83Kb)

Department of Transportation photograph showing the Grand Avenue at the Twentieth Street corner probably in the late 1980s before Grand was widened to accommodate the increased traffic anticipated when the North Grand Mall opened on the west side of Grand between Twenty-fourth and Thirtieth streets in 1971. The area shown here has few residences. Grand Avenue was widened from two to four lanes from Lincoln Way to Twenty-Eighth Street in 1965 and from Twenty-Eighth Street north in 1972. (Photo, courtesy of the Iowa Department of Transportation)

   Citation: 210.1192.3 (Full image size: 71Kb)

An Iowa Department of Transportation photograph shows Grand Avenue looking north, before the Twenty-fourth Street intersection. Note the sign in the center right of the photograph pointing toward Inis Grove Park, located at Twenty-fourth Street and Duff Avenue. This photograph was probably taken around 1958. The Grand Avenue Baptist Church was constructed in 1962 on the southeast corner of Twenty-fourth and Grand. This photo shows Grand Avenue before it was widened to four lanes in anticipation of the construction of the North Grand Mall beyond Twenty-fourth Street on the west side of the street in 1971. (Photo, courtesty of the Iowa Department of Transportation)

   Citation: 210.1192.4 (Full image size: 90Kb)

Iowa Department of Transportation photograph of Grand Avenue looking north at the Twenty-Eighth Street intersection, sometime in the late 1950s. Photograph shows Grand before it was widened to four lanes to accommodate the increase in the traffic after the construction of the North Grand Mall in 1971. Grand Avenue, orginally two lanes wide, was turned into a four-lane thoroughfare from Lincoln Way to Twenty-Eighth Street in 1965 and north from Twenty-Eighth Street in 1972. (Photo, courtesy of the Iowa Department of Transportation)

   Citation: 210.1192.5 (Full image size: 107Kb)

Looking north toward Thirteenth Street on Grand Avenue, in the 1950s, when Grand was still a two-lane street. It was widened to four lanes from Lincoln Way north to Twenty-Eighth Steet in 1965 and from Twenty-Eighth Street north in 1972. The Grand Avenue Service Station (owned by LeRoy W. Scheuerman) can be seen on the southeast corner (1222 Grand) beyond the sign directing people east down Thirteenth Street to the U. S. Animal Disease Laboratories.(Photo is courtesy of the Iowa Dept. of Transportation)

   Citation: 210.1193.1 (Full image size: 88Kb)

Looking north up Grand Avenue at its intersection with Fifth Street, probably in the late 1950s, showing Grand before it was widend to four lanes in 1965 from Lincoln Way north to Twenty-Eight Street. Grand was widened north from Twenty-Eight Street in 1972. The house with the high-pitched roof on the northeast corner (631 Fifth Street) was the long-time residence of Dr. Clarence H. Covault, a professor of veterinary medicine at Iowa State College (University) from 1919-1970, though he was not living in this house when the photo was taken. Dr. Covault was once the director of the animal clinic at the Iowa State veterinary school and took care of the pony of Farwell Brown when he was a boy. The house was razed in 2003 and is the site of a veterans' memorial [2004]. The house in the upper left of the photo (on the northwest corner) was removed in 1984 and is now the site of the Pyle Office Building. (Photo, courtesy of the Iowa Department of Transportation).

   Citation: 210.1193.2 (Full image size: 98Kb)

Looking north on Grand Avenue from the Sixth Street intersection, probably in the late 1950s. The houses on both sides of the street are still standing [2004], but the large trees in the left side of the photo next to the parked cars have been removed. This photo shows Grand when it was a two-lane street. Grand Avenue was widened from Lincoln Way to Twenty-Eighth Street in 1965 and north from Twenty-Eighth Street in 1972. Notice the sign on the left pointing drivers down Sixth Street to Brookside Park. The sign on the right marks Grand Avenue as U.S. Highway 69. (Photo, courtesy of the Iowa Department of Transportation)

   Citation: 210.1193.4 (Full image size: 108Kb)

Looking north up Grand Avenue from Ninth Street, probably in the late 1950s, before Grand was widened in 1965. Houses are much the same today [2004], but many of the trees have been removed. Notice that at the time of this photograph the speed limit was 25 mph. Grand was then a residential street rather than the thoroughfare it became after it was widened to four lanes. (Photo, courtesy of the Iowa Department of Transportation)


GRAND AVENUE
Keyword(s)

Ames Public Library
Information Services
515 Douglas Avenue
Ames, IA 50010-6215
(515) 239-5656


Copyright (C) 2013, Ames Public Library
Published: 07/05/2013 12:45:02 pm