Book Sales Intern
Assisting in the daily operation of the used book store with the goal of maximizing fundraising efforts by the Ames Public Library Friends Foundation.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Must be a college sophomore studying business, management, events planning, or a related field
- Able to commit 10-20 hours a week, that includes time at the Ames Public Library and personal time working
- Preference may be given to applicants with supervisory experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent customer service skills
- Must be reliable and a self-starter
- Must be tolerant of ambiguity and adaptable to change
- Must be responsible and organized
- Must be prompt and thorough in work
The Intern may have to spend long hours walking or standing. The Intern may also have to do some lifting (up to 50 pounds), pushing, and pulling of office supplies and equipment.
The Intern may have to manage a number of projects at one time and may be interrupted by the environment and additional tasks. The position is in an office environment, with most of the work being completed inside, including enclosed storage areas.
The Intern may have to manage multiple requests and situations at one time. The intern may also be exposed to ambiguous situations that may result in stress.
RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Fully support the goals and objectives of the Ames Public Library Friends Foundations (APLFF) and, in particular, the APLFF Sales Committee
- Promote store sales and activities
- Design merchandise displays
- Oversee daily management of Literary Grounds used book store
- Develop marketing and/or fundraising strategies
- Participate in the APLFF Sales Committee
- Organize the receipt, assessment, and processing of donated materials
- Maintain organized storage facility
- Perform clerical tasks as needed
All applicants must electronically submit:
- a completed Intern Application Form (link below),
- cover letter, and
- three references to be considered for the position.
Ames Public Library is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Women, minorities, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.