COVID-19 Updates and Resources
State and Local Government
Assistance and Community Resources
- Call 2-1-1 to speak with someone who can help you find food, bill pay assistance, and other essential services.
- Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP): www.micaonline.org/liheap
- United Way of Story County Resource List: www.uwstory.org/covid-19-resources
Includes information about local clinics, child care, educational resources, financial help, food assistance, international and immigrant help, internet/phone access, job openings, mental health, shelter updates, supplies, transportation, unemployment, and more.
Food Pantries in Ames
- Bethesda Lutheran Church Community Food Pantry is still open to guest and families once per calendar month. Photo ID required. Visit bethesdaames.org/food-pantry to learn more or call (515) 232-6256
- Food at First provides free meals and Free Market perishables. For more information, visit foodatfirst.wordpress.com or call 515-344-HELP (4357).
- Grand Avenue Baptist Church is offering to run day-to-day errands for those who may find it difficult or dangerous to go out. Visit gabcames.org/2020/03/gabc-covid-19-response-and-precautions or call (515) 232-8803.
- Heartland Senior Services will continue to provide Meals on Wheels to residents of Story County age 60 and above. Visit www.heartlandseniorservices.com/covid-19-update or call (515) 233-2906 for details.
- MICA Food Pantry is offering curbside delivery services in Story, Hardin, and Poweshiek County. Visit www.micaonline.org/covid19 or call (515) 956-3333 for details.
- Salvation Army is partnering with local school districts to provide meals. The Salvation Army is also making food boxes for pick-up and delivery. Visit www.salvationarmyusa.org/usn/covid19 or call (515) 282-3422 for details.
Emotional & Physical Well-Being Resources