Ames Public Library is joining hundreds of public libraries across the country that no longer charge overdue fines for items that are returned late!
This is one step in our commitment to providing equitable access to Library materials and services.
What’s the Same:
- Items you check out from the Library have a due date. Some checkouts can be renewed if you need to keep them longer.
- If you keep your item past its due date, the Library will notify you.
- If you don’t return the items, they are considered lost. Your account will then show a charge for the price of the item.
- If you return the item, those charges are removed. If charges on your account reach the limit, you will no longer be able to check out items from the Library.
- If you damage an item or lose part of an item, you may be charged for repair or replacement costs.
- E-books and other electronic resources are returned automatically, so there are no overdue fines on them.
- If you bring back your items, you don’t owe any “overdue” charges. That’s it!