Adult Services Intern
Position: Adult Services Intern
Assist and develop a variety of projects and programs assigned by the Adult Services Manager or Library Director.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Must be pursing a Bachelor’s degree in Adult and Family Services, English, Journalism and Mass Communications, Communication Studies, or related field OR currently pursuing a Master in Library Science (MLS or MLIS) degree.
- Able to commit 10-20 hours a week for at least one semester
- Excellent customer service and communication skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Must be tolerant of ambiguity and adaptable to change
- Able to prioritize and balance multiple projects at once
- Must have a commitment to innovation and continuous improvement
- Able to work independently as well as part of a team
- Able to work with and be sensitive to the needs of diverse groups of people
The Adult Services Intern may have to spend long hours standing and walking. The Intern may also have to do some lifting (up to 50 pounds) and pushing or pulling of library equipment, supplies or books.
The Adult Services Intern may be required to travel throughout Ames for events and spend long periods of time outside for activities.
The Adult Services Intern may have to manage multiple requests and situations at one time. The intern may also be exposed to ambiguous situations that may result in stress.
RESPONSIBILITIES MAY INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Provide public service desk staffing
- In coordination with Adult Services workgroup staff, work on collections and programming
- Perform clerical duties as needed
- Participate in special projects as they emerge
All applicants must electronically submit:
- a completed Intern Application Form (link below),
- cover letter, and
- three references to be considered for the position.
Ames Public Library is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Women, minorities, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.