Adult Services Program Intern
Position: Adult Services Program Intern
Open to currently-enrolled Iowa State University students.
Position open until filled
Facilitate community-focused programs and events for the Ames Public Library; increase participation in Adult Services programs within the Iowa State and Ames communities; participate in select program development.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Must be at least a sophomore studying Event Management, Women and Gender Studies, Sociology, Psychology, Political Science, Human Development and Family Studies, Humanities or another related field
- Able to commit 10-20 hours a week for two semesters
- Excellent customer service and communication skills
- Must be tolerant of ambiguity and adaptable to change
- Must be responsible and organized
- Must have a commitment to innovation and continuous improvement
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Ability to work with and be sensitive to the needs of diverse groups of people
- Comfortable troubleshooting audio and video presentation technology
The Adult Services Intern may have to spend long hours standing and walking. The Intern may also have to do some lifting (up to 50 pounds) and pushing or pulling of library equipment, supplies or books.
The Adult Services Intern may be required to travel throughout Ames for events and spend long periods of time outside for activities.
The Adult Services Intern may have to manage multiple requests and situations at one time. The intern may also be exposed to ambiguous situations that may result in stress.
RESPONSIBILITIES MAY INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Staff weekend and evening events
- Attend monthly Ames Public Library program committee meetings
- Communicate best practices to presenters and program partners
- Handle audio and video equipment in support of events
- Foster a safe and welcoming environment for program participants
- Represent Ames Public Library at off-site events
- Join planning committees for large events such as panel discussions, community festivals, diversity conversations and multicultural celebrations
- Research and communicate with potential audiences for a wide array of adult programs
- Participate in special projects as they emerge
All applicants must electronically submit:
- a completed Intern Application Form (link below),
- cover letter, and
- three references to be considered for the position.
Ames Public Library is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Women, minorities, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.