Ames High School. The older part of the building (the 2/3 shown at the left) was built in 1881 as the first brick schoolhouse in Ames and served as the only school for all Ames children in the 1880s and 1890s. The part to the right was added and provided four additonal classrooms. This building stood on the west side of Clark Avenue between Fifth and Sixth streets. In 1912, a new high school was built across the street (on the east side of Clark); in the 1920s, the old building served as a junior high. In July, 1937, this building was razed in preparation for the new high school building. (This new building, in turn, became first Central Junior High School and then, in 1990, the new Ames City Hall.