Steam-powered Ames and College Railroad (aka, "the Dinkey") was organized in 1892 to provide better transportation between downtown Ames and the growing Iowa State college. From east end of Main Street it travelled down Fifth Street, over Squaw Creek and across central campus. Shown here leaving the campus for downtown. Fare was five cents. Steam engine was replaced by electric cars in 1907. This photograph contains the inscription "Ames & College Railroad, Excursion Days, 1906" and is signed by the photographer, G. W. Hickey.