Engineering Hall (after July 1, 1947, Marston Hall) on the campus of Iowa State College in about 1915. The construction of Engineering Hall (designed by Proudfoot & Bird, a Des Moines, Iowa, architectural firm, and erected by Henry W. Schleuter of Chicago, Illinois) was completed in 1903. The water tower behind the building was built(completed in August, 1897) by the King Bridge Company of Cleveland, Ohio, after a design by ISC engineering professor Anson Marston. In 1895, the failure of the college spring to provide the campus with water inspired Professor Marston to redesign the entire water system--the water tower was the result. For many years, the ISC water tower was the tallest steel structure west of the Mississippi River. In the photo, to the left of Engineering Hall, can be seen the smoke stack of the foundry, the steam and gas laboratory, and lastly the laboratory of mechanics.