The first concrete bridge built in Ames was over Squaw Creek on Stange Road, north of the Iowa State College campus. It was built by prison laborers. Tom MacDonald, who headed the Iowa Highway Commission at this time, initiated the program using prisoners for construction work. He used prisoners from the facility in Anamosa, Iowa, to construct many of the roads and paths on the campus of Iowa State and to construct this bridge. This photograph is dated 1915. The bridge was replaced in 1965.