Upper left, Frederick Clark Tilden (b. Nov. 16, 1848 in Rochester, Vermont; d. Oct. 10, 1939 in Ames, Iowa), was the youngest brother of George G. Tilden, the founder and proprietor of the Tilden retail enterprises. A veteran of the U.S. Civil War, Fred moved to Iowa with his father Julius C. Tilden in 1867 and to Ames in 1870. He farmed near Gilbert and operated a drug store near Douglas Avenue and Main Street. After he stopped farming, he operated a grocery called Tilden & Poole, located in the west half of what was then the Odd Fellows Building (afterwards, called the American Legion Building). The lower photo is Fred's son Dr. Charles G. Tilden (b. 1871 in Ames; d. March 17, 1933 in Kalona, Iowa), who practiced medicine in Ames in the early 1900s. Charles was the Iowa State College physician from 1907 until 1921, after which he returned to private practice in Kalona, Iowa.