Looking westerly on the temporary detour bridge over Squaw Creek in 1918. The "permanent" concrete bridge had collapsed following the flood of 1918 and this narrow bridge served until a new bridge could be constructed to replace the concrete one that had fallen into the creek. Notice that an autombile has veered off the bridge--probably the driver had approached the bridge at too high a speed and had lost control. The process of replacing the concrete bridge took over a year because of disagreement about who should pay for the replacement--the state, the county or the city. The Iowa Highway Commission was not as highly organized in 1918 as it is today . It was not until 1921 that the new bridge was open for use; and, as it turned out all three governmental agencies helped pay for its construction.