William L. Allan, owner of the Allan Machine Shop in Ames on South Duff Avenue, just south of the railroad crossing. The shop had been established by his father in 1876. William L. Allan was born in 1887 and died on June 18, 1961 at the age of 74. He twice served as mayor of Ames, from 1934 to 1938 and from 1948 to 1953. He also served on the Ames City Council from 1916 to 1920 and from 1928 to 1932. He also served as president of the Iowa Association of Blacksmiths and Welders and received a plaque as "Dean of Iowa Blacksmiths." Allan Drive, a short street that connects with Grand Avenue near the underpass was named in Bill Allan's honor since he had been mayor during the construction of the underpass.