The 1940-41 "Polk's City Directory of Ames" lists 313 Fifth Street as the McFarland Building in which physicians G.E. "Guy" McFarland, Sr. (who moved to Ames in 1924 from Stanhope, Iowa) and his two sons, G.E. "Ernie" McFarland, Jr. (who joined his father's practice in 1935) and Julian E. "Packy" McFarland (who joined the family's practice in 1938) and dentist Roscoe D. Feldman had their offices. In January, 1946, the McFarland Clinic was founded in this building. The McFarlands (the father was a general practioner; Dr. Ernie was a general surgeon; and Dr. Packy was an internist), along with O. L. Thorburn, an ear, nose, and throat specialist; and David Wall, an obstetrician, were the first McFarland partners. These five physicians believed that a multi-specialty group practice offered the best means of providing quality medical care.