The original club house of the Ames Country Club around 1944 (based on clothing worn by the people in the photograph). The Ames Golf and Country Club came into existence in 1911. The area where it was first located was originally known as the McCarthy Farm, several blocks east of Elwood Drive and one block south of Mortenson Road on what is now called Gateway Hills Drive. In additon to the club house, the country club's facilities at this location included an outdoor pool and a golf course. In 1975, the Ames Golf and Country Club moved to its present  site at 5752 George Washington Carver Avenue in northwest Ames. From 1975 to 1981, this building was utilized in various ways by Iowa State University. In 1981, the building and grounds were sold to the City of Ames. The club house was added on to and modernized before it opened for use as the headquarters building for Ames's Department of Parks & Recreation in 1982. The swimming pool was used as a public facility from 1984 to 2001.