Brooks House, on the northwest corner of Kellogg and Fifth, is readied for removal before construction of the Rainbow Coffee Shop in 1949 (building permit is dated 9/1/1949). Brooks House was owned by the Masonic Lodge and was used as a convalescent hospital during the great influenza epidemic of 1918. It became the headquarters of the Iowa Farm Bureau in 1919. The Post Office in the far right was built in 1935. The building in the center and the subsequent Rainbow Coffee Shop were later combined to create the American Federal Savings building. Previous to 1949, the Rainbow Coffee Shop had been located at 233 Main (northeast corner of Kellogg and Main).