The Solar Inn restaurant opened in 1954 under the ownership of Hugh C. Hostetter. At that time, its location was given as 1 and 1/2 miles south on Highway 69 (telephone, 505). As South Duff developed, the restaurant acquired the address of 2812 So. Duff. The restaurant's ad in the 1973 Ames city directory reads: "Featuring steaks, seafood, chicken, ribs at popular prices, open Mondays through Saturdays, 5:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m., closed Sundays (telephone, 232-7760)" The Solar Inn closed for business around 1978.