The Marston water tower, the erection of which was completed in August, 1897. It was designed by Iowa State College engineering professor Anson Marston to answer a critical need for water on campus. Marston taught a class in engineering aesthetics and believed structures should not only be useful but pleasing to the eye, hence curving base holding the tank. This photograph was taken by Farwell Brown in the 1ate 1980s when it was no longer an active water tank and after it had been restored. All the paint was scraped off the structure, rusted metal was restored, and the entire water tower was rust-proofed.