Teen and Youth Services Intern
Position: Teen and Youth Services Intern
Open to currently-enrolled Iowa State University students.
Position open until filled
We are seeking an organized intern to increase interest in teen and youth programs and to help develop programs, events, and opportunities for the teens and youth in Ames.
Primary contact for applicants to this position will be conducted via text message
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Must be pursuing a Bachelor’s degree in education, child development, or a related field
- Must have experience working with teens, middle schoolers, or children
- Preference may be given to sophomores or juniors
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to prioritize/balance multiple projects at once
- Must be reliable and a self-starter
- Ability to work with, and be sensitive to, the needs of diverse groups of people
- Must be tolerant of ambiguity and adaptable to change
- Ability to think creatively to design and implement innovative programs
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Must have a commitment to innovation and continuous improvement
The Teen and Youth Services Intern may have to spend long hours standing and walking. The Youth Services Intern may also have to do some lifting (up to 50 pounds), pushing, and pulling of books and boxes.
The Teen and Youth Services Intern may have to manage a number of projects at one time, and may be interrupted by the busy environment and additional tasks. The intern may also have to spend some time outside for activities
The Teen and Youth Services Intern may have to manage multiple requests and situations at one time. The intern may also be exposed to ambiguous situations that may result in stress.
RESPONSIBILITIES MAY INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Create programs with the assistance of a library staff member
- Create a safe, welcoming environment for program participants
- Assist with selection, placement, and scheduling of youth volunteers
- Maintain stats of program participants
- Perform clerical tasks as needed
- Coordinate daily activities for the programs
- Plan, prepare, and present indoor and outdoor programs and activities
- Plan, prepare, and present programs for outdoor and indoor story times based on established protocol
- Present programs that align with community needs and the library’s mission
- Participate in special projects when they emerge
- Promote activities that build and strengthen literacy skills and lifelong learning
All applicants must electronically submit a completed Job Application (link below) and cover letter to be considered for the position. Please e-mail the application materials to email@example.com.
Ames Public Library is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Women, minorities, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.