Program Type:Boards/Government, Health/Fitness, Special Event
Join the City of Ames and Ames Public Library for a community conversation to raise awareness about local mental health concerns and provide resources.
Ames firefighter Sarah Chingren will open the event by sharing the story of her teenage son Vincent who died by suicide last year after struggling with anxiety and depression. After Vincent’s death at age 13, Chingren established the RedShirt Foundation with the goal of providing comprehensive mental health programming to children. The RedShirt Foundation advocates for proactively reinforcing support systems for children and offering comprehensive drug and brain health programs.
Representatives from the Ames Police Department, Iowa State University Department of Public Safety, Ames Community School District, Mary Greeley Medical Center, YSS, and National Alliance on Mental Illness will each have an opportunity to provide facts and resources focusing about mental health issues. There will be time for questions at the end of the evening.
This event will kick off a series of mental health Community Conversations planned over the next several months.
Future Community Conversations – from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m.
- November 3, 2022 – “Mental Health Systems/Resources” to be held at Ames Water Plant, 1800 E. 13th St.
- January 3, 2023 – “Resiliency” to be held at Ames Public Library
- January 31, 2023 – “Drug Abuse” to be held at Ames Public Library
- March 7, 2023 – “Civility in Conversation” to be held at Ames Public Library
- April 4, 2023 – “Community Education (committal process, drug abuse, HIPAA conversation)” to be held at Ames Public Library
Watch for updates and additional information at www.CityOfAmes.org
Presented in partnership with Ames Public Library and the City of Ames.
Ames Public Library connects you to the world of ideas through diverse and inclusive resources and programs. We welcome proposals via our website for programs at www.amespubliclibrary.org/programproposal and exhibits at https://www.amespubliclibrary.org/exhibit-proposal.